Plagiarism, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Exercise
The exercise based on a material from the University of Southern Mississippi (How to Avoid Plagiarism: Paraphrasing and Summarizing, http://www.lib.usm.edu/plagiarism_tutorial/howto_para_summ.html).
For three examples, students are supposed to answer following questions:
- Is it plagiarism?
- How much of the original words and phrases are used?
- Is it clear how much is being credited to Nickerson?
- How well have Nickerson’s ideas been re-worded or re-phrased into the writer’s own words?
- How successful a paraphrase of the original piece is it?
- How effective a summary of the original piece is it?